Updates for Year 11 Students and Parents
Thursday 21 May 2020
This page is dedicated to our Year 11s, in providing you all of the information that's been released thus far in one location. Please check back here regularly for updates.
Last updated: 1/06/2020
Updates to this page are now housed under our Admissions tab at ‘Transition Communication’ found here
For the latest information regarding exams amidst the coronavirus pandemic, click here
Parent and Student Information:
StarLine- Parent Hotline for Home Learning (27th April 2020)
Y11 GCSE Summer Grading Letter (24th April 2020)
Grading in 2020- video from Ofqual (11th April 2020)
EtonX Course Options (31st March 2020)
Y11 Preparing for Post-16 Letter (27th March 2020)
Y11 Leavers Assembly Letter (19th March 2020)
Y11 A level Preparatory Resources:
CTK Aquinas recommended reading and resources (5th May 2020)
CTK St Mary's recommended reading and resources (5th May 2020)
CTK Emmanuel recommended reading and resources (5th May 2020)
Transition guide OCR Biology (1st May 2020)
Transition guide AQA Physics (1st May 2020)
Recommended physics books (1st May 2020)
Transition from KS4-KS5-baseline test for Chemistry (1st May 2020)
Transition baseline answers for Chemistry (1st May 2020)
Courtesy of Thomas Tallis, here are some useful reading resources for Y11’s A Level subject choices they have made to study at KS5. (24th April 2020)
Year 11 to 12 Transition Booklet for A Level Mathematics (21st April 2020)
Department for Education letters:
Latest Ofqual Summer 2020 Update (3/4/2020)
Year 11 Opportunity: Cambridge LPN Summer School, 16th -19th August (apply by 28th May)
- Students accepted onto this programme will have the opportunity to take part in a 3 day summer school in Cambridge in Year 11 and a follow-up summer school in Year 12. The summer schools are run by Sidney Sussex, Murray Edwards and Christ’s College, Cambridge, and focus on supporting high-achieving students from areas of low participation to higher education to apply to Oxbridge.
- Who can apply: Year 11s who are:
- Currently studying at a state school and will be studying at a state school for sixth form.
- Intending to study academic qualifications and on track for obtain a majority grade 7/8 or above at GCSE.
- From a home postcode classified as POLAR4 quintiles 1 or 2. We recommend students check this here before applying, by entering their postcode here and checking 'POLAR4 Quintile'.
- When is the summer school: 16th-19th August. The current plan is still to run this as a residential in Cambridge, but if this is not possible due to Covid-19 there will be an online programme instead.
- How to apply: More information and the application form can be found here. Students must apply by 28th May. For any questions, contact Ellie Wood at firstname.lastname@example.org
STEM Online 4-day summer internships - Investment Banking, Medicine, Engineering, Psychology, Computer Science, Architecture, Entrepreneurship July & August 2020 Who: Students aged 15 – 18
What: InvestIN Education are hosting 'Live & Online' Summer Internships which last 4 days and take place in July and August. The first 3 days are dedicated to immersive experiences of that career alongside top professionals and Q&A/virtual networking time with them. Day 4 is dedicated to personalised career coaching - a sector recruitment expert will look at your credentials and create a bespoke development plan so you can maximise your chances of success.
Find out more: Full details and sign up here
Women in Tech - Degree Apprenticeship Info webinar
Thursday 30 April 2020, 14:00 – 15:00, Online (roles available in London and Birmingham)
Who: Females interested in Degree Apprenticeships
What: We’re looking for more talented young people to join us this September in creating the future. We’re particularly keen to ensure that young women hear the message, as they are under represented in the technology space, but they definitely help the tech industry make Britain a better place. So, we’re hosting an online event to encourage young ladies to understand our Degree Apprenticeship roles that bit better. We will be discussing all things apprenticeships, from grade requirements to guides for the assessment centres. You’ll meet Dan Doherty, Early Careers Manager and the recruitment team as well as some of our current Apprentices who can share their own stories and offer some tips. We have roles available in Telford, Worthing, Manchester, Liverpool, London, Woking and Birmingham. We want to offer support and reassurance to those of you keen to start your career as technologists, and ensure that more young ladies join our industry as we endeavour to move closer to a 50% gender balance. Once, you’ve got your digital ticket, please use the digital link provided on the ticket to access the event. We want to ensure you are safe online so some further instructions will be included around joining this Microsoft Teams event.
Leadership through Sport and Business: Business and Finance Apprenticeship including 12-week bootcamp
September 2020, London & Birmingham
Who: We are looking for young people aged 16 – 21 who are passionate about building a career in finance and accountancy, and business admin. You don’t need previous experience, but you do need to show evidence of an interest in the sector.
What: Leadership Through Sport & Business is a social mobility charity that equips bright young people with access to meaningful work with major firms. We work with major firms in the UK, including Grant Thornton, RSM, TalkTalk and EY to offer Level 3 Accounting, Business Admin and Finance apprenticeship opportunities in London, Birmingham and Liverpool. You will undergo a 12-week bootcamp that combines the power of Sport and Business to help you succeed. From gaining a Sports Leadership qualification to a host of employability skills and exclusive corporate experiences, we give you the edge. You’ll also complete an accredited AAT Level 2 qualification through one of our education partners. Successful completion of the bootcamp guarantees you interviews with our major firms for junior finance and accounting roles. On the apprenticeship you’ll have the opportunity to gain a Level 3 qualification, learn new skills, earn a competitive salary, and be supported professionally through the programme. Eligibility criteria:
- Educated at a state school
- At least a 5 or above in English and Maths GCSEs
- Passionate about the business sector
- Proven interest in business and finance
- And you must be eager to learn and succeed
Next steps: Check you meet the eligibility criteria and apply here ASAP for Sept 2020 start.