Letter from Mr Spiers, Headteacher
Dear Parents and Carers,
Thank you for your support with the trial remote learning day this week. Transferring the whole school onto a live remote provision represents a real test of our IT capacity, but one which our community seems to have met head on. I hope the day also provided you with an insight into how learning takes place across our school. I am very interested to read your feedback and hope that you can take a moment to complete this short survey which will help us to make further improvements to our digital strategy: https://tinyurl.com/yyrdhe97
I hope it will not be necessary to move lessons online, but if it should come to this, we will be ready.
Thank you as always for your support.
How To Use the New Parent Bulletin Format
As you can see, we are trialing a new format for our parent bulletin, where all the information you need is in one easy and accessible spot. To help you make the most of it, please follow these steps to ensure you're up-to-date each week when we share new information.
- To see all upcoming dates, click on 'View Calendar' in the bar below this message. It will take you to the full calendar of the current month. Each date has the time of the event, and you can click into it for further details
- To view and download attachments, scroll to the 'Attachments' section and click on the subsequent tile with the document/form you need.
Black History Month
AGFS Updates 20th November 2020
Children of Key Workers
As we prepare for all eventualities with a potential upcoming school lockdown, we recognise that we have a number of key workers whose children may need to participate in community classrooms. If the upcoming Ark Inset Day (4th Dec) impacts you as a key worker, please contact Ms Gainey at firstname.lastname@example.org in the first instance.
Free School Meals Eligibility
If you have had a change in circumstances and believe your child could be eligible for free school meals (FSM) please fill in your information via the link below and we will be notified immediately of the outcome. Any one eligible for FSM will also be issued vouchers to cover lunches over the Christmas break so we strongly encourage any family who believes they could be eligible to complete this short form. The Government has temporarily extended eligibility for free school meals to groups with no recourse to public funds. The income threshold for these groups is higher (£16,500 after tax) than the income threshold for standard eligibility.
Year 10 and 11 GCSE Revision Guides
To support y10 and 11 scholars with revision for their end of term and mock examinations, all departments have specified a recommended revision guide. A list of the recommended revision guides can be found here: https://tinyurl.com/Revisiononapage.
The school is able to offer these revision guides at cost price and scholars in receipt of the Pupil Premium Grant will receive them for free. To purchase revision guides from the school, please fill in this form and send to email@example.com no later than 30th November at 8am.
Career Meetings for Y9, Y10 and Y11 Scholars
Every scholar in Y9, Y10 and Y11 has been offered a one to one career meeting with our Level 6 qualified CEIAG Careers Lead, which commenced at the beginning of October. As you can imagine with so many students to see, the appointments will span over the next few months, especially for those in Y9 and 10. However, priority meetings were given to scholars in Y11 in order for them to receive tailored advice regarding their post 16 progression from our careers lead, Mrs Neville.
We appreciate the patience of all scholars in waiting for your appointment.
Weekly Assembly Reminder
Each week scholars have two assemblies, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Please note scholars may return 5-10 mins later on assembly days, especially during rewards assembly, as we are celebrating your child’s success! Please see the schedule of assemblies below:
Dismissal is from 4:00-4:30pm Monday -Wednesday and 3:00-3:30pm Thursday and Friday.
Quick Wins to Stay Well this Winter
· Exercising daily—moving your body for even 30 mins daily has massive impacts on both physical and mental health.
· Get quality sleep—scholars should get good rest each night, going to bed no later than 9:00pm.
· Eat a healthful breakfast—a heart breakfast like porridge with fruit will give a slow release of energy throughout the day to keep you in top form.
· Digitally Detoxing—having time away from the screen in the mornings and evenings will give your eyes necessary breaks and will help you sleep better at night.
· Take a daily multi-vitamin to support immune health
· Keep warm—as the seasons change, be sure to bundle up accordingly. Scholars are encouraged to wear a coat, scarf, hat and gloves to avoid catching cold.
· Eat the rainbow—challenge yourself to eat a range of colourful fruits and vegetables to get the nutrients you need.
· Wear a mask and use hand sanitiser— this advice is as important as ever as we go into flu season.
Scholars of the WeekCongratulations to this week's top scholars for achieving the most golden tickets in their year groups. Each student has exemplified the school values of Ambition, Growth, Fellowship and Scholarship.
Year 7 MatriculationOn Wednesday, 18th November, our year 7s were welcomed into secondary school after officially matriculating. We are so proud of our scholars for demonstrating the values of our school, and for transitioning into the next portion of their academic careers. We look forward to seeing what they achieve as a year group.
Post-16, WEX and Alumni Information
Post-16 Open Events Coming Up
· CTK Emmanuel are having their virtual open event on Saturday 21st November 9.30am-1pm
· Bexley Grammar School virtual open event on Monday 23rd November
· Beths Grammar School virtual open event Monday 23rd November
· Townley Grammar School virtual open event Monday 23rd November
Please note, these dates may be subject to change. Parents and carers are advised to contact the post-16 provider to assure correct information.
Year 10 Work Experience
Scholars in Y10 must continue to be proactive in their search for a suitable WEX placement with employers and securing their placement for completion in September 2021.
All Y10 scholars are reminder that they need to create their account for WEX on the ConnectEd App by Friday 27th November. Details have been sent direct to the scholars’ school email account on how to do this from our WEX provider Changing Education. If any scholars are experiencing problems downloading the app, please contact Mrs Neville who will be able to assist you at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AGFS Alumni Notice– Sutton Trust US Applications Now Open
The Sutton Trust US Programme are now accepting applications to their free programme. You’re eligible if you:
· Are currently in Year 12
· Attend and have always attended a state-funded school or college (i.e. non-fee paying)
· Not hold US Citizenship
· Be from a low or middle income family (household yearly earnings of £45,000 or less)
· Have excellent GCSE grades (either achieved or close to at least 8 GCSEs Grade A or 7 or above)